Thursday, August 16, 2007

What They're Saying

In the kitchen after Ali practiced pouring her own drink ...
Ali: Mommy, how old were you when you learned how to pour things?
Julie: I don't know.
Ali: Well, I bet you were older than I am.
Jair: Mommy, sometime maybe Daddy can take us to Grandma and Grandpa's house, and we can play with you when you were little.

In my bedroom at 4:30 am on Sunday morning ...
Ali: Mommy, can you please come in my room so I can talk to you about something?
In Ali's room, a minute later ...
Ali (fighting tears): I've been thinking that I won't be able to do much of church because I'll have to leave for E.J.'s birthday party.
Julie: Oh, Ali, church ends at 12 o'clock, and the party doesn't start until 2 o'clock. You won't have to leave church early.
Ali (visibly relieved that the church/party conflict has been resolved, but still sad): Oh, okay. Mommy?
Julie: Yes?
Ali: I had a fun thought, but it went out of my head.
Julie: What was it about?
Ali: Boxcar children.
Julie: What did they do?
Ali: I was pretending they were different people who got very sick and went to the hospital.
Julie: What happened then?
Ali: They got better.

At the calendar counting the days till my birthday, shortly after Ali noticed my expanding midsection ...
Ali: Mommy, you'll look so fat on your birthday!

At the zoo ...
Jair: Cobra. That's a cute name for a snake!

At breakfast, when Jair wanted his cereal without milk ...
Jair: Mommy, I need air on it. I don't want any milk, just air.

At lunch, after Ali asked when winter would come and we started talking about winter activities ...
Julie: And what else is going to happen in January?
Ali: Our baby's coming!
Jair: Mommy, you will have to hold the baby when we go sledding.

At the playground, when Jair wanted J.D. to sit beside him on a bouncy lion ...
Jair: Jade can be my wife. He can sit with me.

When he sees a hairy four-legged creature ...
J.D.: Gog? Woo-woof! Woo-woof!

When he sees a small winged creature ...
J.D.: Guck? Guck? [Duck?]

When he sees a picture of Daddy kissing Jair ...
J.D.: Dada [lip-smacking sound]. Dada kiss.

When he wakes up thirsty and hungry ...
J.D.: Cup. Cup. Foo. Foo. [Food.]

When he sees a train:
J.D.: Tain. Chut-choo!

When he wants to read a story ...
J.D.: Mama, sit do [down].

When we close a door to keep him out of a room ...
J.D.: Shut do. [door].

When he toddles across the room with an obvious sense of accomplishment ...
J.D.: Yalk. Yalk. Yalk. [Walk].

2 comments:

  1. No offense to your wonderful writing skills, but my absolute favorite posts are when you quote your kids. My favorite from this post is, "Mommy, you'll look so fat on your birthday!" They make me laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the conversations you have with the kids! I can't wait for Aaron to start talking more so we can have some fun talks too! These are classics! Keep 'em comin!

    Amy M.

    ReplyDelete