Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Eavesdropping

One enlighting aspect of mothering a daughter and son just 17 months apart is listening to their serious conversations with each other. Here are two recent ones:

Ali and Jair were looking forward to playing at a friend's house ....
Jair: They have cars! Ali, I think they have a pink car.
Ali: No, Jair, I don't need cars. I need girls' toys.
Jair: Oh, like dollies, Ali?
Ali: Jair, there are other girls' toys besides just dolls.
Jair: What?
Ali: Like ... paper dolls!

Ali and Jair were playing with Playmobil in the great room while I cleaned the kitchen. Suddenly, Ali had a striking epiphany ...
Ali: Mommy, I figured out why you visit Aunt Alyssa. Because she's your friend!
Jair: Ali, who is your friend?
Ali: You are, Jair. You're my best friend!
Jair: Yeah, I'm your friend.
Ali: Well, God is our really best friend.
Jair: Yeah.
Ali: We love him the most. We love him more than we love people! And we'll live with him when we go to heaven.
Jair: Yeah, we don't care if we die, because we will go to heaven.
Ali: Yes, if we say we're sorry we can go to heaven.
Jair: No, Ali, if we believe in Jesus we can go to heaven.

They didn't debate the issue further, but I think they were both correct:
Now after John was arrested, Jesus came into Galilee, proclaiming the gospel of God, and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.”

No comments:

Post a Comment